Saturday 29 July 2017

June 2017 UPDATE

Montlhѐry Vintage Revival 2017

The Montlhery Pits

There can be no better feeling than getting an old bike running; or so I thought until I got an old bike back on a banked track with some 300 other 1920 & 30s vehicles at the Montlhѐry Vintage Revival on 6-7 May.

Waiting with Tony Baxter Brooklands Museum (L) & James Hewing (R) Nat Motorcycle Museum
The event is held every two years at the Montlhѐry Autodrome, a Brooklands type oval, banked circuit just outside Paris. So it was particularly fitting that I was part of the Brooklands Motorcycle Team who were there to showcase the ABC Marque as guests of the organisers Vincent Chamon & Jean-Frѐddѐric Frot.


The sun was shining as we unloaded the bikes on Friday, but this all changed on Saturday morning when the rain appeared. I was riding the Brooklands OK Supreme in the Motos GP and Racing class and we took to the drying track for a sighting lap behind the safety car, before being left to our own devices. 

The Racing circuit peels off outside the main oval after the Start/Finish straight and Turn one was a bit damp but ok on what was an excellent tarmac surface more used to providing a test-bed for modern French cars. Oil flags were waving as I approached Virage du Fay a sharp hairpin, behind a smoking Brooklands Earle Cotton Jap. The wet and oil soaked surface had been spread with sharp sand which only added to the drifting sensation we felt as we tip-toed both bikes round.

Found some grip on the Start/Finish Straight

I found the grip as I accelerated down the straight into the chicane that led out onto the banked section of the circuit which only really works at high speed. The height of the banking is awesome, but mindful I was on a borrowed bike and the state of the weather I kept it sensible as I continued the session.

Fred Wade (BSA Empire Star) & Mike Digby (Triumph L2/1) of Brooklands Museum
wait in the pits for their Run

It was a truly memorable experience despite the challenging conditions and I hope to be back in better weather for the next Revival in 2019.

The Banking has to be seen to be believed 



Old Timer




No comments:

Post a Comment